Wednesday, October 7, 2009

On the Meadows of Montpelier

Such delights to be found.

Last weekend was the Fall Fiber Festival on the grounds of James Madison's Montpelier mansion, in Orange, Virginia. This festival has become one of my favorites. I'm not very selective, perhaps. All three of the fiber festivals I frequent are my favorite, in one way or another. But it's not a bad state of affairs, to be always enjoying a favorite, every time.

I love the drive out through Virginia's rolling countryside. World's-most-patient-husband drove with me this year, making the drive that much more enjoyable.



I love getting into the town of Orange, the excitement building as the destination nears.











I love how the tents are spread out upon the meadow, making it feel like a country fair.





I love strolling the relaxed, grassy midway, and occasionally coming upon calm, sociable animals wandering through to be admired.











I love the tents stuffed with fascinating goods for spinners and knitters and browsers of all stripes, and the many good-natured, hospitable vendors.

I love the displays and the sample skeins and the knowledge- able shoppers, judiciously evaluating their selections.


I love the sheepdogs and the shepherds, and their amazing joint skill, and the serious competitive trials unfolding alongside the festival tents throughout the day.

I love the famous cider doughnuts that I'd heard of but only found for the first time this year. (Delicious.)





I love bringing some of it home with me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I covet that roving!!! (and aren't those donuts awesome- his coffee is pretty darn good, too)

Robin said...

OMG! That roving looks wonderful! LOVE the colors! Looks like the festival enjoyed good weather this year. I love an outdoor festival in the fall. There's just something about the color, the crisp in the air, and fiber --- hard to beat.